Thursday, May 23, 2013

Samantha Long Song Sketches

The song I'm using is the Adagio from Bach's Brandenburgische Konzerto. I just decided to dive right in the paint, so here it is. I'm experimenting with more atmospheric effects, trying to use more soft edges than I'm used to. Basically it's a main lit figure followed by two dark hooded masses. As far as the background goes, I'm not really sure what I want to do with it yet. I may suggest a stone wall with overhanging trees or something; we'll see. I plan to tighten things up a bit, play with more lost-and-found's, and bring out my hooded's from the background slightly. Looking at it again, I'm sure about my composition. Does it need more space on the left and right? On the bottom? Does it get too dark overall?

FYI, here's my main reference I'm working from. I also have some for my cloak shapes. I may collect more for my wall and trees.

3 comments:

  1. I first listened to the Allegro by accident and was quite confused. I think you are doing a wonderful job so far. The bright highlight on her head with her face quickly falling into shadow is beautiful. You could lighten up a few areas in the background, but I think more than that I wish there were sharper details in the background to give more context. Those details should stay in the background if they don't change value too much, and the contrast on the central figure will hold a strong focal point. I like the variations of color. Also, be careful with the beam of yellow shooting out of the flowers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really really really like the hair here. its amazing. I wouldn't tighten this up much more than really nailing where those like three strokes that will make up her hand are. the figures in the back look ominous but I wonder if they could fall just a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far so good. The background figures may need as much attention in terms of reference and careful drawing as the main figure, only keep them in lower values & lower contrast to let the main figure stand out.

    If you haven't already, study what E. A. Abbey did with some of his Shakespearean subjects, how he separated main figures from background figures & elements:
    http://www.canvasreplicas.com/images/Penance%20of%20Eleanor,%20Duchess%20of%20Glouster%20Edwin%20Austin%20Abbey.jpg
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6XToWCjApi8/USkbsCJtZnI/AAAAAAAABVU/of95_wgbwjI/s1600/king_lear-_cordelias_farewell-Met.jpg
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d0/The_Play_Szene_in_“Hamlet”.jpg

    ReplyDelete