Thursday, May 23, 2013

Natalie Soper Song Sketches


I am doing this bad boy in ink, scanning it in, then coloring it digitally. It is sort of a compilation of the past two years of my life in one giant pile, leaking water and glitter which is flooding the surrounding area and mounds. The second sketch has a few thumbnails exploring compositions..

5 comments:

  1. I think personally, I like the last composition on both rows the best. I think it works to keep her in the top third. But I noticed you asked about fire on the first page- I don't think you need that. The image looks sort of like icebergs, stranded islands in cold water, and I think the fire would negate that. What song is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the last comp, too, but I wonder if it's maybe not the best to have the mound running off the edges. I like all the fun detail you're getting in the top study; it would be a shame to lose some of it. It might make the overall composition a little bottom heavy if you do that, too. Maybe you could keep the nice shape of the mountain while adding a bit of space around it. Overall a great idea- I can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all the detail you're putting into this. Make sure things don't get lost with so much going on. And if you include type (which I think is a good idea) make sure it is done well, otherwise it will distract. I'm excited to see it in color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so i think these comments are all sound. i'm just wondering what song you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun concept and exploration. It may be tricky to compose all of those fun elements she's sitting over, but I say go for it. Just be prepared to stick with it until you get everything working.

    I've recommended this to several others already, but some full-value thumbnail comps will help you separate figure & ground, and deal with the major elements in terms of masses, on which the detail will be a welcome treat. If you don't work out the large value relationships, then the detail might just be "busy" and confusing.

    We're all wondering what song inspired this. And I'm curious what artistic influences you're looking at. It makes me think of some James Gurney paintings.

    ReplyDelete