Thursday, May 23, 2013

Music Illustration Sketch: "Futile Devices" by Sufjan Stevens

OK so this is the pencil sketch.


Here's the digital work in progress so far.  The girl ghost figure isn't at ful opacity so there's still a clear idea of what the figure is actually doing.  Once everything's all done, it will be at full opacity.


Here's another updated version.  Still not anywhere close to being done, but the thing he's wearing is closer.  There are going to be more patterns.  What do you think of this latest update?


Here's a link to the song.  The song itself is very short, but if you listen to the whole album, it actually does a remarkable job of introducing the listener to everything else that will happen throughout the rest of the album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MpKP9b_NJQ&list=PL33432D4771F0FFC1
If you want to get a better idea of what it's all about, give the rest of the songs a partial listen.  It gets weird.  EDIT: Sorry I didn't mention before that there's some cussing in the song "I Want to be Well." Sorry if anyone listened to that and was offended.






3 comments:

  1. That did get kinda weird. I think the futuristic, geometric motif captures it nicely, though. Cool design, and nice center of interest. The point at the top of her head feels uncomfortably close to the circle right now. I might change the size there. And I'm confused about her shape. Is she a mermaid? A ghost? Made of smoke?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this totally reminds me of that one cartoon where they travel through cyperspace and there is some villain that is a virus or something. Do you remember that?

    is she holding his severed head? I'm unclear about this. Still it has like a simultaneously dreamy and tech feel that is really cool. I like the art nouvaeu kind of aspect too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed the top of the circle is getting tangent with the picture edge. I wonder if you can tone the colors overall warm, cool, purple or something. Right now it feels like it's not really "lit" with a unifying light source. Maybe get rid of the white background, dim down the lights overall, then bring up the contrast & color in the key spots. The color feels a bit random and "busy" or haphazard. Unify, unify. I like the first in-progress color version as it has a simpler color harmony and it isn't traveling all over the color wheel as much as the later version. Try to keep things in a given color "key" or 1-2 families of hues. The variation can be more subtle warms & cools, without going all the way to bright blues & reds. Klimt uses a ton of color, but it's all tied together by overarching simple harmonies.

    Also look at Jon Foster for ideas about color & composition: http://www.jonfoster.com/#!gallery/cheu

    ReplyDelete